Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hi, my name is Chris LaLiberte.  I'm from Boston, Massachusetts and I am interested in Secondary Education, preferably History or English.  I have a passion for Hockey and Baseball, playing both sports at the Varsity level in high school, and looking to further my love for competition by playing baseball at John Carroll University.  I have always had success when it comes to communicating with young people, but also feel as though I am most useful to those who are able to converse with me, and not just take what I have to say and run with it.  Classes in which there is much conversation and debate are the ones I am able to thrive in.  Although sometimes discussions turn into heated arguments, my sense of humor tends to always ease the tension. I've always had a bit of a knack for procrastination, which is something I must overcome in order to be successful and orderly.  But my sense of drive and commitment to the task at hand will allow me to rid myself of bad habits and put me on the path to be an influential teacher.  I'm never afraid to ask questions, regardless of how I will be perceived after the words have slipped out of my mouth.  Although I do believe there is such a thing as a stupid question, I feel as though a lot of people may have that question in their head and might be too shy to speak up.  Luckily for them, I don't mind one bit.  Repetition has always been my way of learning.  Whether it be a vocabulary word or a style of offense, being able to have it layer out in front of me numerous times is how I am able to imprint it in my brain.  When I was in 7th grade I had a teacher by the name of Mr. Zuckerman.  He was one of the best teachers I've ever had.  within the first week of school we had begun to talk about different types of government.  Before class he pulled me aside and told me, "just go with what I'm about to do alright?".  To help exemplify what it would be like to live in a totalitarian society, where all of the power is held by one individual, Mr. Z kicked me out of the classroom for no apparent reason. Scenarios like this occurred often in my 7th grade History class, making it both fun and easy to learn.  Mr. Zuckerman's style of teaching intensified my aspiration for becoming a teacher.  One of the most significant issues I have seen in classrooms today is the idea of "pushing cattle through" and making success out to be all about numbers.  Once a student has squeaked through a course he or she is no longer that teachers concern, regardless of whether or not they understood any of the material covered in their classroom.  Mr. Zuckerman did a great job in this respect.  I for one am not the quickest learner, but his dedication to his work and his elaborate teaching style allowed me to excel in his class. Just for clarification I am the one on the left in my photograph, heard there was some confusion with that earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment