Monday, September 22, 2014

Is it possible for every student in any given class to have their needs met when it comes to the style in which the professor is teaching? There are so many different perspectives from which each student can look in.  How is a teacher possibly capable of connecting to each one of those facets and make sure they are all supplied with the right material that allows each and every student to stay the course?  Without a doubt it is difficult to be able to see whether or not a student is actually retaining the material or if he or she is simply able to memorize and recite.  But the difference between a good teacher and a great one is their ability to reach all different types of learners.  So what if there are students at either end of the spectrum? Say there was a student who was having a very difficult time keeping up in the class, but there is also a student who's ability to comprehend the material is far more advanced than everyone else's.  Which side of the spectrum do you compensate for? do you decide to cut loose the student that has fallen behind? Simply allow him to drown in his copious amounts of homework he cannot understand? Or do you let the student who is sitting on his/her thumbs remain in that stance.  This is the predicament that worries me when it comes to actually going out into the field and teaching.  I don't want to fail any of my students, because then I feel I haven't done my job as an educator adequately.  But I also want every student to get the most out of my class that they can, without having to compensate for my lack of performance with other students.

No comments:

Post a Comment