Sunday, September 28, 2014

I would have to agree with the statement made by Lisa Delpit.  As the reading touched on, by a certain age, students begin to identify with either the religious or ethnic groups they derive from, whether it be for the betterment of their learning experience or not.  The reading spoke about a school in which english was being taught to students in a foreign country.  But the teachers began to notice that in their early teenage years, students began to turn away from the English they were being taught and speaking in their native language instead.  This may or may not have been an act of rebellion, but i believe the leading factor was the influence of belonging to their own culture and obtaining tradition or their native tongue.  The other part that I took from the reading was that a student's identity in class was not solely based off of their ethnicity or religion, it could also be from the very situation they live in.  I had a situation of my own in high school that changed the way I came to school and changed the way I looked at a classroom discussion.  As a freshman in high school having a recently divorced mother, I was forced to put my feet on the ground at home and do my part to make things run smoothly.  The same could be said for the classroom.  It was no longer about participation in  class discussion, but diverging deep into the topic to find the root of the problem and get it solved.  Teachers were no longer teachers to me, but sponges of knowledge that I would have to squeeze at in order to get what I wanted out of them.  I found my voice because of the situation or my own little "community", and I am positive the same can be said for most students, regardless of whether they are in a similar situation or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment