Monday, December 8, 2014

After years of avoiding eye contact, secretly texting, and staring at the clock until it was time to leave, I finally had the opportunity to see a classroom environment from the other side of the glass-what a view!  Not only did it feel awkward to be standing in front of my peers as an authority figure, but it also gave me a sense of pride that the profession I had longed for since I was in third grade was now just peaking over the horizon.  But then the glorious moment ended, and that ray of sunshine over the horizon blinded me with the reality that I now had to teach a lesson, one that these students would actually be able to learn from, there needed to be something that these peers of mine would be able to take away from all of the information I was about to throw their way.  I was the provider of the knowledge, as well as the facilitator of the learning.
Starting off the class with the background knowledge of the information that had been provided through chapter 13 of Educational Foundations was both necessary and informative in my eyes.  But at the same time I couldn't help but feel like I lost some interest right off the bat.  One of the biggest struggles throughout the class was whether or not I was going to be able to be informative while also maintaining a maximum level of interest.  That was where I thought the activity with the song lyrics brought that interest level back.  A song that presumably everyone had heard at one point and was popular relatively recently was now being used as a teaching tool in the classroom.  But despite the excitement that came with the activity, the students didn't really seem to get out of it what I wanted them to.  That was the hardest part for me.  Being able to come up with an activity that would meet the focal point of my topic, while maintaing the illusion that all we were doing was looking at a song and having fun.  It is definitely something I will need to work on-making activities more relatable to the subject at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment