Friday, December 12, 2014

On my third day of observation I found myself in a whole new environment, a place that contained both unfamiliar faces as well as a new topic.  Although English is also one of my strongpoints with my academic standing, my interest level is not as high as it is in a historical setting.  English class was an experience all the same.  Though the subject was different, the structure of the classroom was the same.  In order for the class to be productive, all students would have to attempt to be engaged.  Whether that be shedding their own light on the book that was being discussed, or asking questions pertaining to the topic.  History itself is more about facts the outcome as a result of passed events.  The english class that I had the pleasure of sitting in on talked more about the structure of the paper that the students were preparing for.  The students were also preparing for midterms the following week, so many questions pertaining to the exam were thrown around over the course of the class.  One thing that I found to be very interesting was that snacks and drinks were allowed as long as they were not distracting to the teacher or other students around.  I myself was never allowed to have food in class.  That sense of freedom and responsibility was honestly refreshing to me.  The students were eventually paired up and went over a review packet for the exam the following week.  The constant struggle with this is whether or not all groups were being productive.  I felt as though the teacher did a good job with circulating and listening in on the different conversations that were being had.  Every so often students would be asked questions almost as a test to see if they were actually on task.  This is a little trick I may have been able to pick up for my classes in the future.The second class that I attended for the day was a community service based class.  Selected students attended the class so there were only 7.  This class was devoted to volunteer work both inside and outside the class that met twice a cycle.  During the class a video was shown on what they class would be doing after christmas break, and all seemed to be enthused on the task at hand.  This teacher, like Mr. Hoffman, shared life experiences that were relatable to what was being talked about in class.  In all it was an enlightening experience to see what it was like outside of a History class setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment